This fresh and flavorful ginger teriyaki grilled chicken is a family favorite, but the marinade is also delicious with pork, beef, or grilled vegetables.
I’ve been grilling for as long as I can remember thanks to my dad who always let me be in charge. Whether it was juicy steaks, bone-in split chicken breasts, or a pork tenderloin, he always let me take over. While we love grilling a bit of everything, we grill chicken more than anything else. As a result, I love coming up with new and creative chicken marinades that would be just as delicious on any other type of protein I have on hand. That’s how I came up with this delicious Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts recipe.
- Chicken breasts: High protein, low calories and it cooks quickly on the grill.
- Soy sauce: Low-sodium soy sauce still adds wonderful umami flavor to the marinade.
- Lemon juice: I prefer to use a fresh lemon, but store-bought lemon juice will also work.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil, regular, or even avocado oil helps to thicken and add volume to the marinade.
- Hoisin sauce: Thick with an intense flavor that is slightly salty and sweet.
- Ginger: Pungent, slightly spicy and peppery, with a sweet aftertaste, it pairs great with garlic.
- Garlic: A favorite ingredient of mine, it’s strong flavor goes great with almost everything.
- Sesame oil: I prefer to use toasted sesame oil, as it has a stronger earthy, nutty flavor.
- Chili paste: You can skip it if you want, but it adds a wonderful kick to the marinade.
How to Make Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts
Start your Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts by adding soy sauce to a large bowl.
Next add the hoisin sauce.
Then add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, making sure to catch the seeds.
Stir in the olive oil.
Then use a microplane to grate the garlic and ginger into the bowl.
Next add the sesame oil.
And finish with the chili paste, then stir to mix thoroughly.
Then put your chicken breasts in a large resealable bag and pour the marinade over the top. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour, but preferable overnight for optimum flavor.
When ready to cook, preheat your grill to high heat and throw the chicken on and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165.
Serve whole or sliced, garnished with sesame seeds, and enjoy your Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken breasts!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What does teriyaki chicken go with?
Can you use teriyaki marinade as sauce?
Not after you’ve used it on raw chicken, but if you wanted to whip some up to serve over rice or noodles, it’s delicious!
How do you store leftover terikayki chicken?
Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Grilling Recipes
Did you try this marinade? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
Popular with kids and adults alike, the whole family will love my Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts!
Your fork is waiting.
Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts
This fresh and flavorful teriyaki marinade is ideal with chicken but also delicious with pork, beef or grilled vegetables.
Place the chicken breasts in a large resealable plastic bag and add all remaining ingredients.
Seal bag and toss well to coat. Marinade in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
To cook, pre-heat grill to high heat. Grill chicken 4-5 minutes per side, turning once, or until fully cooked through.
Calories: 257kcalCarbohydrates: 6.5gProtein: 35.8gFat: 10.4gSaturated Fat: 1.1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9.3gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 1140mgFiber: 0.3gSugar: 0.8g